Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Patricia's Passport :2012 Worthy Five Clones Sauvignon Blanc

In my effort to ensure there is fermented grape juice at hand I tend to go a few weeks before actually drinking said wine and even then I rarely finish a bottle anymore.

So, it was a pleasant surprise to find the 2012 Worthy Five Clones wine a nice refreshing Saturday afternoon while doing laundry. Now, one thing about hot summer days and chilled white wines you need to understand its not an opportunity for jugging down a glass like some housewives do. I literally poured one glass and it was after I took a quick nap before I poured my second. I enjoyed the bottle with my dinner and my dessert. Yet, my first sip to my last were completely different.

While I suggest chilling wine sometimes a tart lemon flavor is produced when you "overchill" a white wine and it takes maybe 20 minutes for that flavor to mellow into a nice honeydew melon like flavor. You can imagine my desire to enjoy a nice glass of white wine on a hot day but spending 10 minutes cupping the glass to add some heat is just too much work. Of course the opposite happened after about 45 minutes my glass was warm and I did the impossible of adding two ice cubes to my wine. If I have to work to drink the wine I usually put it down and don't bother with it.

After my nap and now my watery wine I cleaned my glass and poured a fresh one and the lemon overtones completely disappeared giving way to pineapple and melon which went really well with my assorted meats, cheeses, and hummus for dinner. Along with a salad, I found myself savoring the glass of wine more and more. The spicy cured hams matched the wines white pepper undertones and brought out a great flavor against the bland hummus and cheeses.

Finally, it was movie time and popcorn was on the plate as I poured my final glass of the night. Now, I have a funky palate and season my popcorn with sea salt, pepper, and a dash of cinnamon but, not too much the cinnamon is just to pump up the popcorn at the bottom of the bag. This wine had nothing left to prove to me and I was happy for the $5 I paid for it but, I wasn't going to finish the bottle. That is before I took a bite of popcorn and sipped the wine in order.
About the second act I got the mix right and I would say if you want an nice dessert wine that isn't for dessert try Worthy Five Clones . I can't say if it was the salt that brought out the green apple flavors or the cinnamon but, all of a sudden a new combo of flavors opened up on my palate and I was thoroughly impressed by what seemed like apple pie on my tongue. I like tart apples and love cinnamon apples from Marini's (barring my dental problems) so this wine really hit the spot.

I actually stopped the movie to find that this wine had been listed on a Fifty Best List getting a Gold Medal. While I apparently saved some money with my purchase I am sad to say I can't find Worthy Wines anywhere except on the Internet and Grocery Outlet. Hence read someone else's review below.


Worthy Five Clones
2010 Sauvignon Blanc

(Napa Valley) $19

Produced from five clones of Sauvignon Blanc found in a single vineyard in Yountville, this wine was fermented and aged in stainless steel barrels.

Aroma: Green apple, apricot, peach, melon, citrus, lime, lemon, hint of grapefruit, jalapeƱo.
Palate: Green apple, lemon, grapefruit, peach, pineapple, slightly tart, white pepper, bright, balanced fruit, round, delicate.
Finish: Grapefruit, soft, dry, mouth-watering.

Gold Medal
Gold medal


Worthy Five Clones Sauvignon Blanc
Post a Comment