Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2016

Work It! What is next?

After I have told you about networking and skills opportunities I don't know what to tell you about how to get a job or what to do when you are at a job. I have highlighted the three books I was given but maybe you have an Audible account.

What about what people are wearing on their commute? Is a train a good way to commute?


I thought about it and realized there maybe something about job titles

One job title I applied for was Association Management Support Generalist at least that was what the job title was on the Craigslist ad.

My ending job title was Membership and Meeting Coordinator.

Two different titles and two completely different job skills and duties.

The situation (position) did not state outright that being flexible meant being on call or on duty at 9:40pm at night dumping garbage. The advertised position did not indicate how much sales savvy one had to be. Trust me, the position did not include the words "you will be embarrassed to ask the caterer to change the order 2 hours before the event" - yup never one word on that task!

I digress, this makes me sound resentful or spiteful which has nothing to do with the actual tasks that I did.

One thing we all must realize in our employment, unless you are an actual rocket scientist-brain surgeon or the President of the US- take a few steps everyday and be gratiful you do know a few things like:

  • Algebra Math
  • Listening skills
  • Negotiations
  • Organization and Filing
  • Religious Holidays
Yes, its great to know software / hardware programs but sometimes having those horrible "soft" skills are what help you get thru the day. 
Post a Comment