Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Post A Day : Heirlooms




Intense 

(Describe the last time you were surprised by the intensity of a feeling you had about something, or were surprised at how strongly you reacted to something you thought wouldn’t be a big deal).

The truth is that this whole decluttering events have been intense very very intense for me. I have crying fits and tantrums over finding boxes of stationary, cassette tapes, and socks. There are coup champagne glasses from a defunct airline that have turned yellow with age.

I have felt completely abandoned when I was trying to fundraise for Alzheimer's and no one gave a mere $5 ( five dollars ).

Intense feelings of anger that I have had to tamper down or just spend a lot of miles on the elliptical machine at the gym till I pulled my calf muscle.

Emotional response isn't new but what is causing my influx of feelings is. Why would opening a box marked "Special" to only find a crystal bowl be so upsetting ? I wanted to smash it into a million little pieces up its discovery.

I did not smash it into the ground to make it shatter but, that was one minute where I recognized I had intense feelings and I was mature (?) enough to mitigate the irrational thought with the sensible one of selling the crystal bowl on eBay.

I would like to think I am getting better at the decluttering events but I whole heartily admit to being susceptible to intense minutes of pure emotional release that leave me exhausted at times. I have to recoup or avoid the storage unit in effort to gather enough courage for the next time.

I did not have these intense feelings when I was decluttering clothes because I could not fit them properly anymore and it was validation of my weight loss. Unfortunately, the intensity of the fits and starts of the heirlooms decluttering has sprung a new well of depression and sadness that sometimes fits around my shoulders like a tailored jacket.
Hence...Bryan Adams says it best ....


Post a Comment